Wednesday 22 January 2014

Answers to your questions!

Dear Mrs. Simpson's class,

I just got a message about your questions! I'll do my best to answer.

1. How did you take a picture of the turtles in the water so that you were able to see them without scaring them?

When I took the photos I was sitting on a ledge of rock above the tide pool which you can see in this photo. You could get really close to the turtles- you can even see the boy in the water- he was right next to them! However, you're not supposed to touch them.


2. How many gallons of gas do you think it will take to get from Hawaii to Japan?

I had to do a bit of research and math to figure this out! The Bridge of the MV Explorer publishes a Noon Report every other day, and I learned that we use approximately 92 metric tons of fuel daily while traveling across the Pacific. If I assume we use about the same amount for each of the 9 days in takes us to get to Japan, that's approximately 828 metric tons. There are 31.75 gallons in one metric ton. So, we will use approximately 26, 289 gallons of gas! WOW!

3. How many turtles were in the tide pool?

There was one turtle initially and then another joined it. That's when I got a picture of the two of them. The second one swam away shortly after. I was told there were more around, but those were the only ones I saw.

Great questions! I'll try to write once more before I land in Japan,

Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment