Tuesday 4 February 2014

Konichiwa!

Hello Mrs. Simpson's class!

I just returned to the MV Explorer after spending 6 days exploring Japan. It was an incredibly awesome experience. I did so many cool things that I don't think I can possibly describe all of them to you! I will do my best to share some of my favourite things. 

I mentioned to you that Tokyo is an enormous city, and it certainly felt that way! We lived in a neighbourhood called Askusabashi (pronounced A-sock-sa-bash-e), but we traveled all over the city using the subway. We got really good at using the subway, even though the machines and instructions were in Japanese!

One day while we were there, we went to a part of the city called Shibuya. It is famous for being filled with very bright lights, as well as being home to the biggest cross-walk in the world. It is sometimes called the "Shibuya scramble", because all the traffic lights stop so people can cross the street in any direction.


One extremely yummy part of Japan was the food! Do you know how to eat with chopsticks? I didn't! I had to learn. I had plenty of practice though. I tried sushi for the very first time- sushi is different types of raw fish with rice! I also ate fried octopus! Trust me, it might sound kind of icky but it was very delicious.


After Tokyo my friends and I traveled to Kyoto. I told you that it is a city famous for its history, and this was very true! Every block you walked down there would be a temple or a shrine that is hundreds of years old.

We went to one famous one called Kinkaku-ji Temple, or the Golden Pavilion. As you can see below, it lives up to its name! The upper two levels of the temple are covered in gold foil. It was built in 1397 by an emperor to be a guesthouse but after he died, it was converted into a temple. Near by, you could buy charms that are supposed to bring good luck and fortune. I bought one that will hopefully help me do well in school!

Here is a photo of my friend Shelby and I in front of it!


On the same day we stopped at a small tea shop. Green tea, while being a type of tea you can drink, is also often used in many foods in Japan. I tried green tea and green tea sponge cakes, and I also ate green tea ice cream the day before! Like the sushi before, I learned I shouldn't be scared of food just because I haven't tried it or because I think it's strange.


On our second day in Kyoto we took a train to a part of the city called Arashiyama. There is park there where you can see macaque monkeys. They are the only species of monkey that live in Japan. We walked to the top of a mountain, and suddenly we were surrounded by monkeys! They are very used to people, so they would walk very close to you, but you are not allowed to touch them. If you go into a little house, you can feed them through the bars!



Japan was so much fun and I learned so many things, but now I am back home on the MV Explorer! I have two days of classes and then we arrive in Shanghai, China.

I'm very tired because of all the adventures I had, but now I need to rest up, do some homework, and repack for China! I will be traveling to Beijing to see the Great Wall.

Sayonara,

Rebecca


1 comment:

  1. Konichiwa Rebecca,
    We were so excited to read about Japan. We were surprised when we saw how different the subways looked than in Toronto when we Googled it. Some of us thought eating octopus was great, others thought it was yucky! What does green tea taste like? Why were you not allowed to touch the monkeys? did you have trouble communicating with the people in Japan? How did you get from Yokohama to Kobe? We saw that you were in shorts/ Was it warm in Japan?

    When you go to China. How will you communicate?

    We are really looking forward to watching the Olympics. Are you? Will you be able to see any of the Olympics. What will you watch it on?

    Rebecca, this note is being written by your Grade 3, teacher, Mrs. Menard. I was so excited to be able to read this blog to Mrs. Simpson's class and send their responses. I am also enjoying following your blogs.

    Mrs. Simpson's class says, sayonara!




    ReplyDelete